A healthy appetite and good nutrition are the important first steps to improving nutritional intake and preventing malnutrition.
Interventions for involuntary weight loss include:
- Monitor meal-time intake.
- Offer snacks at all activities.
- Provide six small meals per day.
- Use high-calorie, high-protein shakes between meals.
- Follow a medication pass program that delivers calorie dense products.
- Keep an updated list of likes and dislikes.
- Weigh frequently.
- Assure proper table side positioning at meals.